I have lived in the U.S. for over 7 years now, and among one of the things that caught my attention from the beginning is how often the words "I love" are used. People say I love my dog, I love pizza, I looove such and such singer, I love hamburgers, I love ice cream and finally... I love you!!!
What is the real meaning of the phrase "I - Love - You"? I can't say to someone I just met that I love him/her, love is not something that happens instantly. Love requires time, requires a relationship, spending time together, and more time. As I get to know my husband better every day, I love him more. As I spend more and more time with my son, I love him more and more.
Sometimes we just "forget" the real meaning and it becomes so frequent the use of these words that we pass by opportunities to say real "I Love You"s... My husband has a childhood friend with whom he lost contact in the last few years... and I could see him bothered for not being able to speak with this friend. This went on for a long while. Finally yesterday he met us at the park where I was playing with Lucas. I saw that there was something different about him, almost like a puzzled look and when I asked what had happened, he said he had just hung up the phone with this one friend!
As I heard my husband talking about all the things they did together as kids and teenagers, I could see how much he appreciated that friendship and how much he loved this friend but hadn't had the opportunity to tell him that in a long time.
I hope I won't miss the opportunity to tell my loved ones how much I love and appreciate them. May I remember what the word love really means and tell it to the right people while they are still here, while we can share moments together, while we can hear each other's voices and while we can laugh even at the silliest jokes.
My dad always says, nothing you say about someone matter after they are not around. So let us tell I Love You to those who we really love and may the joy of doing so last for the rest of your days.
My dear friend you need to add a "follow" button on the right so we can follow your blog! Thank you for posting this, please keep on writing!
ReplyDelete