My mind has been filled with thoughts lately and I am trying to write them down before they evaporate. I have to say that I like watching makeover shows. Mostly the ones when they do a big makeover in the house of people who usually give a lot to the community or someone who has a disabled child, or something like that. I think these people who do the makeover do a great thing because they are “doing good” for someone else and this something that the ones who receive it never forget.
Ok, I have watched quite a few of those shows and the one thing that strikes me is that at the end of each show, in almost 100% of the ones I’ve seen, the family says the same thing: “Oh, this house will change our lives” or something like “our lives will be much better now.” Don’t get me wrong, I believe that it is very cool to have a brand new fancy house with all kinds of fun decorations, pictures, computers, TVs, kitchen appliances, etc. But does a new house with new stuff in it can make your life better?
Then I was thinking of what kind of makeover I would like. Would I like a makeover in my house? How about a makeover on me? One of those that they do your hair, give you brand new clothes, make up and so on? Sounds good to me, but these were not the kind of makeovers I dwelt think about the most.
I have been married for 4 years now to a very good man, one of those that you don’t find everywhere. I met him when he was at the Seminary getting his Master degree in Divinity (yes, he is a pastor), and other than thinking he was a handsome man, my attention was caught by his traits of character. He is very honest, sincere, firm in his opinions, committed to what is true and most of all committed to God and the call He had for him.
But as I got to know him better, I discovered that he wasn’t always that way. He doesn’t consider that he grew up as a Christian, he went to church a few times, and made many decisions that were not the best ones. Even though he had some good friends, he got involved with some that were not so good. He was a very secular guy all throughout his teen years and early twenties.
But in the fall of the year of 2000 something happened that nobody would ever imagine (I don’t think even his mother would imagine that happening). He had an encounter with God and it changed him forever. I call it a makeover. Blake allowed God to take control of his life and He came and really did an Extreme Makeover. As Blake would tell me some things of his past I couldn’t believe that he was talking about the same guy I was in love with! And still today I can’t imagine him being different than what he is now.
My point is not to “brag about” my husband; I just wanted to share how life can be much more meaningful after an Extreme Makeover of our hearts and our minds. The world today sells so many things that supposedly bring happiness and fill the holes. Have a nice car, a nice house, a nice body, beautiful and fashionable clothes, the last model of electronics… things. And many of us are caught up on trying to “keep up with the Jones’” and in our effort to get there, we sometimes feel frustrated, disappointed and the hole in the heart is still there.
How much more important it is to fill the holes with whatever is good and noble. But I can’t do that on my own. I have to let the Lord come and demolish the old me, tear down the self in me and do the extreme makeover He wishes to do. And then do as He said “Seek ye first the kingdom of God … and everything else will be added to you.”
Have a blessed weekend!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment